- Karnataka - Lalbagh Botanical Garden
Botanical Garden 4
kms from MG Road
as one of the most richly diverse Botanical Garden's
in South Asia. Lalbagh in the Southern part of
the city, was laid out by Haider Ali in 1740. Spread
97-ha (240 acres) of Parkland, many of its tropical
plants were brought here by Haider Ali's son
Tipu Sultan. Later, John Cameron, the Garden's Superintendent
the 1870s, imported several more rare species
from Kew Gardens in London. Cameron was also responsible
for initiating work on Lalbagh's famous Glass
modelled on London's Crystal Palace and Conceived
as a venue for horticultural shows. Surrounded by champaka
trees and pencil cedars, the Glass House has
host to several visiting dignitaries. An Annual
Flower show will be held here.
Entrance to the Park is marked by an equestrian statue
of Chamaraja Wodeyar of Mysore. Another popular attraction
is the surreal Floral Clock, surrounded by Snow White
and the Seven dwarfs. This was a gift from Hindustan
Machine Tools, leading Indian Manufacturers of Watches.
To correct your phone number on this page
please call (0422)2439319.
To advertise on this page please call (0422)2439319 or 98430-12267.