Bangalore - Karnataka.com - Mangalore


Mangalore
|| General Information || How to Get There || Tourist Places ||

South Kanara district 357 km (222 miles) West of Bangalore. This Thriving port on the estuary of the Netavati and Gurpur rivers is the largest city in Dakshina (South) Kanara, the coastal district famous for its coffee, cashewnut and pepper plantations. Rich harvests of these crops have attracted traders through the ages. Arab merchants first came here in the 13th and 14th centuries, and were later followed by the Portuguese and the British.

Mangalore today, presents a panorama of terracotta - roofed houses, whitewashed churches, temples and mosques, nestling amid groves of coconut palms. Among its old watchower, known as Sultan's Battery, built of laterite in 1763 by Haider Ali of Mysore.

Mangalore's 19th century churches include the domed Church of the Most Holy Roasary and the Jesuit College of St Aloysius. Situated at the foot of Kadiri Hill, 3 km (2 miles) north of the city, is the 17th century Manjunath Temple, with some superb bronze images of the Buddha, dating to the 10th - 11th centuries, installed in the porch.



To correct your phone number on this page please call (0422)2439319.
To advertise on this page please call (0422)2439319 or 98430-12267.