Bangalore - Karnataka.com Chitradurga


Chikmagalur district 200 km (124 miles) North of Bangalore. Dramatically positioned at the base of a rugged chain of hills, this town rose to prominence as an outpost of the Vijayanagar Empire. Later, in the 17th-18th centuries, it became the headquaters of a line of local chiefs known as Bedas, until it was occupied by Haider Ali in 1799 and then by the British. The Fort, defined by walls of huge granite blocks, rises above the town. A series of three gates leads into the irregular inner zone, strewn with striking granite boulders. There are several small temples here, as well as a
number of ceremonial gateways erected by the Bedas. The platforms and pavilions within the compound of the Sampige Siddheshvara Temple mark the spot where the Bedas were crowned. The remains of rubble and mudbuilt granaries and residences, and a large circular well can be seen nearby.

In the town below, the local Government Museum, housed in a guardroom beside a gateway, displays artifacts from surrounding sites. The 17th-century Ucchalingamma Temple is on the main street.

To correct your phone number on this page please call (0422)2439319.
To advertise on this page please call (0422)2439319 or 98430-12267.